Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mold and new chemical reactions

So it turns out the Boy Wonder is allergic to roll-on deodorant. We discovered this earlier this week because the hubs suggested he was starting to smell rather like a then-13-year-old certain older brother of mine. (I only have one brother. You do the math.) We both agreed 8 was a bit young to start having serious B.O. issues, but shrugged and decided to buy him something easy to apply and unscented.

And... he's got hives. Under his arms. Which I can tell you from my personal experience with various post-mold hives experiences can't be fun. Any time I've wound up with them in a crease (like the insides of my elbows or knees) it's been an extra layer of misery.

I can't prove, of course, that these new allergies he and I have been developing over time are related to mold. But who on earth is allergic to unscented deodorant? I mean... it's already unscented.

I've noticed myself I'm a lot more sensitive to smells than I used to be - like painting when they remodeled at work, or when we had to have some new tires put on the van and one of the workers got axle grease inside on the floor mat - my head hurts even thinking about the smell.

Is this our new life now? Or eventually, do you adjust and stop having to worry about every new chemical encounter in the universe?

1 comment:

  1. Um, that painting was truly awful. You would have to had been dead not to be bothered. The deodorant though -- that's weird.

    ReplyDelete